I recently came back, from a 3-day business trip to Mexico City. As beautiful and cosmopolitan as this city is, it is also conflicted and it is not hard to find yourself wired up after a few days.
So I decided to go incognito and book myself at the Spa in the St. Regis Hotel in Mexico City for the latest signature treatment, “The AgaveSpa Tzolkin Ritual.” I took the time to research the treatment, for it was something I had never heard of at the Spas back home. I read about the different and interesting takes on the Aztec’s holistic experiences with acupressure massage based on the Aztec calendar and the points of your body. The massage therapist mentioned this would definitely help me detangle my circuits and find harmony.
Needless to say, the experience was to die for. From the greeting at the Spa, to it’s beautiful installations and the AgaveSpa amenities bag in the locker room that was filled with goodies. The luxury wrapping of the bathrobe had the lightest touch of pink silk and terry. The music combined with the scents of the AgaveSpa’s Essential Oils took aromatherapy to a whole new level.
The silkiness of the Agave Spa Massage Oils and the Body Mask took me to a heightened state, ready to fully engage in the benefits of the acupressure treatment and experience. To finish it, they gave me a warm Obsidian Stone Massage, that together with the AgaveSpa Body Cream made me want to experience this ritual massage all over again. Did it really have to end after 120 minutes?
By now, I was in heaven, feeling like an all new and improved woman again, glowing and totally relaxed. I decided to stop for a nice light lunch (to round up the pampering) before I took my Uber back to the airport.
It was then that I started thinking about how different I felt going into the Spa and coming out of it. Yes, I was definitely more relaxed, toned and glowing. My skin felt as if I was 10 again, but it was more than that....The luxurious “me” time and all those circuits detangled by the massage, filled me with endorphins and made me feel like a new woman. Then I remembered reading that massages are one of the oldest and best answers to our constant search for natural healing. A massage is composed of a lot of things, certainly in health and beauty. It is a physical, emotional and psychological experience. Massages promote deep breathing, mental and physical relaxation that can send the body into a semi-conscious meditation that helps heal the body, mind and soul.
A trip to a Spa can transport you to a place filled with serenity, something most of us cannot achieve in our homes. More than just a luxurious getaway, it should be considered a part of your wellness plan.
If making Spa trips regularly is something you never saw yourself doing, you might want to re-consider and learn about the power a massage can offer to the human body. I'm going to introduce some of the top reasons that keep me coming back to the Spa.
- Reduces Anxiety and Stress - You can welcome clarity into your life after getting rid of the toxic stress that’s been consuming your day and thoughts.
- Fight Depression and Insomnia - WebMD reviewed “more than a dozen studies revealed how massages can fight depression by lowering cortisol levels which is the body's response to stress. It also can increase the levels of serotonin and dopamine, which are both neurotransmitters that help stabilize your mood.” Serotonin is also essential for the production of melatonin which is necessary for one to sleep.
- Alleviates Lower Back Pain and Headaches - Ever had nagging back pain that a Tylenol can’t seem to get rid of? Luckily for you, studies have found that regular massages can naturally alleviate this pain. Also, headaches and migraines can be lessened when increasing the blood flow to your head.
- Boosts Immune System - One of my favorite massage benefits is that fact that it makes you feel good on the outside and on the inside. There are different kinds of massage that can treat a specific problem area. But for the immune system, a deep tissue massage can help the body’s natural defense system to avoid sick days in bed!
- Reduces the effects of long hours of sitting down (at work or in the car) - Our posture starts taking a turn for the worst after sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours combined with sitting in traffic throughout the week. Regular massages address these situations by alleviating the tension on our shoulders, upper and lower back to avoid bad posture as we age.
Ahh…The Importance of Human Touch
Ladies, if you cannot go to the Spa, you can certainly start training your guy! Get some AgaveSpa scented massage oils, make it a “Spa night”… and enjoy!